Sunday, August 31, 2008

Politics, Culture and Bats...OH MY!




On Saturday C and I ventured to Austin (highly anticipated on my part.) First we hit the state capitol and caught up on our Texas history.....which was decently intense since Texas was once its own country...and truth be told still wants to be a little.

Then it was off to BATFEST 2008 for some live music, local arts and crafts, food and of course the largest colony of bats in North America...true story.

I found Austin (as expected) to be a great city...though we only experienced the downtown as we drove through it I could just hear all the little restaurants, cafes, and music venues calling my name! The only downside? The HEAT! I mean seriously....my always reliable Hawaiian sandles got so hot on the pavement that I could have sworn they were cooking my feet from the ground up. And the humidity? I've reverted back to mission mode and carry a handkerchief with me AT ALL TIMES to pat off my face, neck, and other humidity-stricken body parts. I kept thinking "how can people really live here?" I know what you're thinking.... "Hil, you do REALLY live there..." It's true, I do.....but in my heart there will always be four seasons!:)

Watch the skyline for a serious bat exodus....afterall, everything's bigger in Texas.


8 comments:

Amy and Clark said...

Love it! We need to all live in a perfect city with a great downtown, no humidity and all 4 seasons. Sigh. I played tennis in the humidity this weekend and that was really something. Glad you guys had so much fun in Austin and glad that I get to be the first post on this entry! (I know your probably checking regularly to see if any one has posted yet... :)

Amy and Clark said...

Sounds like a fantastic time! What we really need is to all live in a city with a great downtown, no humidity and all four seasons. Is that too much to ask? Glad that you guys had a good time in Austin and glad that I get to be your first comment for this post!

The Frandsen's said...

it certainly looks very green and beautiful!

Tara said...

Not sure how I feel about the bat exodus video ....

But it looks like you guys are having lots of fun!

Joe said...

I can't believe it. It's a cloud of bats. That makes me think they'd fly around in the shape of a fist or an arrow or something and menace the people. I'd love to see that in person sometime. And then I'd love to reach my hand up in the cloud and pull down a bat as it flew by. I'm sorry for rambling, but these are all things that video made me think.

Bonnie said...

The bats rock! I'm so jealous that you got to be there for the bat festival! :) Good to see you're getting out there and becoming part of your new community! (Yes... you do actually live there!) Did you get a cowboy hat yet?

Molly said...

Who was waving that multi-colored lightsaber on Hil's left during the BATFEST 2008 footage? Was that C?? You so TOTALLY rock! Viva TX!

V said...

Hil, I need your new physical address!! ~V