Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Like mother, like daughter......

There have been a few times in my life when I've realized certain motherly traits entering my world. And by motherly traits I mean Valerie Ingoldsby traits. One of the first was when I started carrying a purse. Everywhere. Always had to have my purse with me. Suddenly I realized that while many women carry purses not ALL women carry purses...but my mom did/does...everywhere. Nature/Nurture were both out to get me on the purse issue. Another was when I started "meeting friends for lunch." I took that as a sign of adulthood as well. Then when I first moved into an apartment I realized I COULD NOT go to bed with a dirty sink. How could my roommates sleep with such a loud mess? Whether my mom always cleaned up the sink at night or kept it clean throughout the day I may never know. But what I do know is I physically couldn't sleep with the sink a mess (this may or may not be a habit I've kept well.) And most recently, and perhaps the most unexpected of all, I baked (yes Cass and Ames it's true!). And I baked A LOT. Dozens of festive cookies. For anyone who knows my mom, it doesn't get much more Valerie than that.
As kids mom would start baking Christmas cookies in October or November to prepare for her famous Christmas party. While recently reading one of my dad's journals he said that one year she made at least 80 different kinds of treats for that years party. The party/open house was quite the event. It seemed the whole world was invited. As kids Marie and I were in charge of taking people's coats when they arrived and retreaving them when guests were ready to leave. One year we donned Santa outfits to many guests delight. Another year a sweet (aka crazy) neighbor told my parents she had seen me smoking in my bedroom. Had she only seen the real steam emitting culprit....a humidifier by my side to help my asthma ridden 10 year old body! (As a side-note our house was only 1300 square feet...I'm pretty sure smoking in a bedroom with a house full of people would have been a bad idea.) Such good memories. Friends came from all over, visited, ate, and often took a plate home of goodies because the goodness was overwhelming. The party was a tradition for years until it turned into a source of competition in our small hometown with strangers stopping us on the street or at the grocery story and asking what they had to do to get an invite.
While my cookie extravaganza wasn't such a huge deal I must admit I enjoyed it. C and I took some treats around and I felt very festive...and very much like my mom. Thanks mamacita!

9 comments:

Russ said...

WOW! 80 types of cookies! That is so cool. You mom is amazing. The cookies you made were so good! It must be in the genes!

Allison said...

The first thought that came to my mind when I read this post was that time when we were having some kind of girl/boy gathering at your house and your mom said "Come on in boys, I'll make cookies"! Do you remember that!? Good times :)

Molly said...

How I wish I could sink my teeth into some of that chocolatey goodness! Well done, Hil! I'm happy to see that your time with your Mom is being well spent. Lucky neighbors who received all your tasty efforts!!
Have a great holiday sister!

The Road Less Traveled. said...

I love your domestic side. Get your cute self out here!

The Frandsen's said...

Darin still remembers the first time he had your mom's chocolate chip cookies, it was a semi-sacred event. I do remember hearing of the christmas parties as well! Christmas is all about traditions, right?

are you SURE you weren't smoking?:)

Cassie said...

Awe. I love your mamas treats. And I'm VERY impressed that you baked! It's a Christmas Miracle!!

Diane Bohn said...

I hope you bring some of those Christmas goodness with you when you come visit! ;) When are you guys coming to Utah?! We definitely want to get together! We saw Panu the other day - he's engaged! We also tried to convince them that we aren't you guys- we've never invited them over either - but they didn't tell us they got engaged, so what do they expect?! J/K!

todd, christy & kids said...

Ohhh... the memories....
I love that your getting all domestic on us. I am now a member and I welcome you to domesticville! Please stay awhile. Next thing you know you'll be cleaning up baby barf and saying Geez la wheez! hee hee. Or what was it your mom said...something involving a turkey????I can't remember.

Amy and Clark said...

I certainly hope you saved some of those homemade baked goods for me to taste! It is rather eerie at times how we become more and more like our mothers each day! Hopefully the fact that our moms are pretty fantastic works to our advantage.
Can't wait to see you in a day or two!