Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hilary the voice-less wonder...

After boasting over the weekend that neither C, nor myself, had gotten sick over the holidays...despite so many of those around us coughing and sneezing etc.....it hit me. The coughing, sneezing, congestion, headache. The whole bit. And then if it wasn't enough...it took my voice. I H-A-T-E losing my voice. Knowing there are conversations I'm not having, opinions I'm not expressing, cell minutes I'm not using....it's just too much.
While C and I were in Brasil a few years ago C awoke to me trying to speak. I had been little under the weather and had woken myself up by coughing. But something with my cough just wasn't right...I could tell by the sound...my voice was gone. In the hopes of proving myself wrong there I was in the middle of the night desperately trying to speak. We were in one of my areas and the next day was Sunday. There were people to love and hymns to be sung...and only a whisper escaping my lips.
Another time, while at Ricks College, I lost my voice (with no good reason or illness mind you) and my professor (love you Robyn Bergstrom!) told me it was my body's way of telling me to slow down and relax. Imagine me...a communications major in communications classes unable to communicate! I was a case study waiting to happen. My body's way of telling me to relax...my body's way of telling me to relax. Hmmmm. In honor of that sentiment I took a 2 hour nap today.

6 comments:

B said...

I'll take a nap in your honor then. Hope it helps. ;)

Amy and Clark said...

Losing your voice is annoying for all those people who would like to talk to you too! Get better soon!

Marie said...

You should expand this blog entry into a column! Love it!

The Road Less Traveled. said...

Guess we'll just have to communicate heart to heart then. I hope you feel better soon. Love you.

Marybeth said...

At my senior all-night party I was hypnotized and was convinced I was a lifeguard and must protect the pool from being peed in. I was a very convincing lifeguard and the next day woke up with absolutely no voice. After about 2 weeks it came back as a very sultry, slightly chain-smokerish voice. I named the voice Brenda. Every now again she comes back to visit. The bad thing about losing your voice is you sound really sick, but in the majority of cases you feel just fine. Good luck!! Your voice will return soon! P.s. it was fun seeing you guys over Christmas.

Molly said...

I laughed out loud when I read, "there are conversations I'm not having, opinions I'm not expressing, cell minutes I'm not using..."! A great read Hil, I thank you.