Friday, July 12, 2013

Goodbyes are hard.....



Dear Central Texas,

It's hard to believe that it's been five years since we packed up our U-Haul and headed south, crossing the border into the Lone Star State. At the time we still thought barbeque meant hot dogs and hamburgers and we rarely, if ever, remembered the Alamo. I'm happy to report that many things have changed - all for the better - over the past five years.

We're pretty passionate and opinionated about our barbeque now and even have a certain sense of Texas pride. You wooed us with your rivers, the Hill Country and black land prairie. We couldn't get enough of your diverse history and cultures - nor your delicious food and peculiarities. We fell in love with Austin's live music, unmatched radio stations, food trucks and overall vibe. San Marcos quickly became 'home' and to a certain extent I think it always will be.

Now don't get me wrong, we had our share of drawn-out fights with you about your melting sun and endless summers. I hope you didn't take it too personally. It's just that our northern bones weren't meant for the heat and humidity. Please know that despite our sometimes too often complaints, we loved you all along.

And then there are your people. You know, the ones I can't talk about without my eyes getting wet and getting a lump in my throat? I hope they know how much we love them and will miss them. I hope they know how they made the last five years not only fun and interesting, but full of purpose and meaning. Thanks for sharing them with us.

To say we will miss you is an understatement.

Love always,
Us


2 comments:

Marie said...

WAH! (You're such a great writer)

Tara said...

Thank you so much for sharing Austin with us in April! It was a fun and memorable trip! I can see why you love it there.