As I gained a testimony of the gospel, my views on dressing modestly didn’t change significantly as far as my own personal dress was concerned, but my views on how other people perceive my character based on ways I chose to wear clothing did. I think I became more conscious of how I could impress upon others – members and nonmembers alike – the standards that I had set for myself. I think dressing modestly is an extension of subtly asking for those around you to respect you. Dressing modestly does not require expensive clothing, or in general, much fuss in accessorizing your clothing or your hair and makeup. Much like sharing your testimony, dressing modestly is another method of presenting yourself to the world without the worldly distractions of adornments. Heavenly Father does not ask that we embellish or alter our bodies in ways that would be destructive or harmful, just as we do not embellish or alter our testimonies to reflect things that are not true. In addition, dressing modestly is helping to lead others by a silent example – for our fellow sisters and our daughters, and that is a great responsibility, and something that should be taken seriously.
I found it fairly easy to make changes regarding my wardrobe after going through the temple. Short dresses became tunic tops with leggings. Sometimes I would make a few little alterations to a dress in order to make a skirt. Cardigans helped cover shirts that were sleeveless. Pretty camisole tank tops helped me to hang onto dresses or shirts that were just a little too low cut to wear - or sometimes cute and inexpensive scarves helped minimize exposure of those areas. I also shopped sales racks at Target or Old Navy, and swapped clothes with friends who were closer to my size when we all wanted a few new wardrobe updates. All in all, I didn’t find it very difficult to adapt my wardrobe to dressing modestly, or wearing garments. I actually love wearing garments as I feel they help cover up bits of my body that need a little smoothing out! – Especially after having a baby.
I’ve received many blessings from dressing modestly. First and foremost, I felt a greater respect from my peers, my coworkers and even my husband. Second, dressing modestly promotes an overall confidence in yourself – I stand on my own two feet and do not depend on dressing a certain way to receive someone’s attention. Generally the attention a woman receives from dressing immodestly is degrading and can be destructive. I am a daughter of God – and when I dress – when I look in the mirror, I always ask myself if I would be proud to stand before God in what I am wearing. Would I be proud to stand in from of my parents? My daughter? Dressing modestly has really encouraged me to evaluate how I respect myself. And the confidence that has grown from dressing modestly has impressed my standards upon non-member friends and my coworkers. Dressing modestly is yet another way Heavenly Father has impressed his love upon us – and his desire for us to love and respect ourselves.
That all said, I love clothes. I love dresses and skirts and cardigans. I love to accessorize with playful or patterned scarves, leggings or tights. I love to wear playful prints and colors. Dressing modestly does not require an austere wardrobe – in fact, I think it allows us to be more creative when presenting ourselves to the world. We challenge the “boring” connotations associated with dressing modestly. So much so, that not one gives a second thought about you dressing modestly. All the world sees is confident, strong, intelligent women whom are well dressed, and who also happen to be Mormon.
1 comment:
LOVE THIS. Love the bears. Miss you.
As I gained a testimony of the gospel, my views on dressing modestly didn’t change significantly as far as my own personal dress was concerned, but my views on how other people perceive my character based on ways I chose to wear clothing did. I think I became more conscious of how I could impress upon others – members and nonmembers alike – the standards that I had set for myself. I think dressing modestly is an extension of subtly asking for those around you to respect you. Dressing modestly does not require expensive clothing, or in general, much fuss in accessorizing your clothing or your hair and makeup. Much like sharing your testimony, dressing modestly is another method of presenting yourself to the world without the worldly distractions of adornments. Heavenly Father does not ask that we embellish or alter our bodies in ways that would be destructive or harmful, just as we do not embellish or alter our testimonies to reflect things that are not true. In addition, dressing modestly is helping to lead others by a silent example – for our fellow sisters and our daughters, and that is a great responsibility, and something that should be taken seriously.
I found it fairly easy to make changes regarding my wardrobe after going through the temple. Short dresses became tunic tops with leggings. Sometimes I would make a few little alterations to a dress in order to make a skirt. Cardigans helped cover shirts that were sleeveless. Pretty camisole tank tops helped me to hang onto dresses or shirts that were just a little too low cut to wear - or sometimes cute and inexpensive scarves helped minimize exposure of those areas. I also shopped sales racks at Target or Old Navy, and swapped clothes with friends who were closer to my size when we all wanted a few new wardrobe updates. All in all, I didn’t find it very difficult to adapt my wardrobe to dressing modestly, or wearing garments. I actually love wearing garments as I feel they help cover up bits of my body that need a little smoothing out! – Especially after having a baby.
I’ve received many blessings from dressing modestly. First and foremost, I felt a greater respect from my peers, my coworkers and even my husband. Second, dressing modestly promotes an overall confidence in yourself – I stand on my own two feet and do not depend on dressing a certain way to receive someone’s attention. Generally the attention a woman receives from dressing immodestly is degrading and can be destructive. I am a daughter of God – and when I dress – when I look in the mirror, I always ask myself if I would be proud to stand before God in what I am wearing. Would I be proud to stand in from of my parents? My daughter? Dressing modestly has really encouraged me to evaluate how I respect myself. And the confidence that has grown from dressing modestly has impressed my standards upon non-member friends and my coworkers. Dressing modestly is yet another way Heavenly Father has impressed his love upon us – and his desire for us to love and respect ourselves.
That all said, I love clothes. I love dresses and skirts and cardigans. I love to accessorize with playful or patterned scarves, leggings or tights. I love to wear playful prints and colors. Dressing modestly does not require an austere wardrobe – in fact, I think it allows us to be more creative when presenting ourselves to the world. We challenge the “boring” connotations associated with dressing modestly. So much so, that not one gives a second thought about you dressing modestly. All the world sees is confident, strong, intelligent women whom are well dressed, and who also happen to be Mormon.
Post a Comment