It has finally happened. After spending hours on the computer looking at everyone else's blog I finally got around to starting one of our own! Long live the internet and it's endless ways to keep in touch.
So now what? Updates on our lives? A back log of what we've been up to lately? So many decisions.I feel a certain amount of anxiety writing this first blog. Months ago I discussed the blogging-world with my friend Melanie and we decided that if one is to blog, one must live a blog-worthy life. Aka you've got to have something worth saying....so here we go....
First the update.
C and I have been in the land of Orem, UT for the past 2 years. C has been plugging away at a masters degree in geography at BYU and will be defending his thesis next week! I've been working at Curves with my mom as her manager, as well as doing some side writing jobs for Utah Business Magazine and Apx Alarm. All in all we've had a blast being close to family and all the wonderful experiences that affords.
In the fall, however, life is taking us a different way. We are off to TEXAS (all capitals because everything is bigger there right?). C will be getting a PhD at Texas State, and I plan to start using phrases like "ya'll" as much as possible (as well as get a job of course.) We'll be sad to leave our families, but are super excited for the adventure. C is most nervous about the extremely hot and humid weather. We figure it will be much like our missions in Brazil...but without the walking all day and returning to a house without air conditioning.
While I'm tempted to write about all the great experiences C and I have had since getting married instead I'll just catch you up on some highlights from the last few months.
In April we had the chance to go to Boston for C to present his research at a conference. We loved, Loved, LOVED it. Loved the city...loved the sights..loved the history. C's presentation went really well and we were able to not only see Boston, but head to Cape Cod and Lexington and Concord as well.
In May Marie, Mom, and I took a trip down memory lane and headed to Rexburg for a weekend. We had a great time seeing old friends, and feeling the magic of being 'home'.
Just last weekend we participated in the American Cancer Society's fundraiser Relay for Life. We had a team again this year, and I was also on the planning committee for the event. The night was wonderful. Bronwyn walked as a survivor at the beginning of the night, and later in the night I spoke, and Marie sang, at the luminaria ceremony which is dedicated to those lost to cancer. It was a great way for us to honor and remember our dad. Many family and friends came to support us. We had a great night and raised a lot of money to go toward the fight against cancer!
I'm trying to keep my internet addiction to a minimum so I guess that's it for my first post!
More to come....
16 comments:
Wow,
I got first comment on your blog!!!!
Today I feel my life is complete, I have found what I have been looking for and it gave me the joy and appreciation that can only be found while speaking with The jerkstore manager and his lovely wife. I have found your blog.
Give us a call soon so that we can chill,
We are pondering a road trip to boise the last weekend in June, I know you all have family up there, We could make it super radical roadtrip to the extreme.
Later skaters
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! I'm So happy you're a blogger now! I feel as if my life is fulfilled (for today at least) Watch out Marie, you're next :)
Aww, Hil. Now you've put so much pressure on me. Sigh. Nonetheless, I will add your blog to the growing list under my friends & family bookmark.
Sure love you.
I couldn't be happier that you a member of the blogging community. It's basically 20-something myspace. I miss you. Gosh.
Glad you joined the blog world. It will help us keep in touch better. Hopefully we will see you at the reunion.
Trudy and Darin
I second Jane's excitement!!! I love that you have a blog now!
please call me asap.
i can't find your number, ahhhh!!!
I can't tell you what joy it is to see you online. That way I can stalk you more... See you in cyberspace!!!
And maybe in person if we can ever pull it off!
I'm sad to see that you have succumbed to social pressure and have joined the dark side. Signs of the times...
Welcome Welcome! I am so excited that you have joined the blogging world as crazy as it is.
So let's have a get together before you leave to Texas!! Call or e-mail.
Hey! It is Brittany Bean (Owens). I hope you remember me from our great costume wearing jazz band days. You look sooo good. I am always glad that people succum to the land of blogging. Natalee Smith acutally found your blog and told me to check it out.
Hil! So glad to know what's going on with you. you seem to have a blog worthy life!
Love yer guts!
Have fun in TEXAS!
So glad to see you. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your absolutely blog-magnific worthy life (I'm not above making up words to sound cool).
Hey,
I was looking on the mission site and found your blog. You will find that Texas is very samiliar to brasil climate.
Magic. That's what your blog is to me. Love, love, LOVE you & C!!!!
Ok, if you're gonna live in the South, here are some words and phrases you'll need to know:
'fixin' = I am about to do something. Example: "I am fixin' to go to the store."
'y'all' = a couple of people. Example: "Do y'all wanna go to the store?"
'all y'all" = the entire room of people. Example: "Do all y'all wanna go to the store?"
'carry' = take. Example: "Do you want me to carry ya to the store?"
'buggy' = shopping cart. Example: "Do you need a buggy at the store or will a basket do?"
LOL. You're gonna love the South!
~Lindsay (R4L)
Post a Comment