Long Quiet Highway: Waking up in America by Natalie Goldberg
Background: While at Utah State I took 'Opinion Writing' from Nancy Williams and it changed my world. Nancy had us read "Writing down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (a book about writing practice) and it opened up a whole new realm of writing to me....loved, Loved, LOVED it. Spoke right to me and helped me put into words why I love to write. So when I stumbled upon "Long Quiet Highway" at my new favorite used bookstore it was a no-brain purchase. "Long Quiet Highway" is Goldberg's personal memoir about growing up lost and eventually finding writing and Zen to be her solace. I found her pathway to writing more interesting than Goldberg's personal experiences with Zen, but still loved the book. However, if writing's not your thing, this may not be an overly inspiring book for you.
Catch me if you can by Frank Abagnale Jr.
Background: It's a Saturday night and C and I were waiting for some friends to come over when we stumbled up this movie with Tom Hanks and Leonardo Dicaprio about an amazing con artist that neither of us had seen. We got completely sucked in and hurried and popped in a tape to record the rest when our guests arrived. As luck would have it the tape stopped recording before the movie ended. PANIC! Don't get me wrong, we had a great time with our friends, but as soon as they left we rushed to Hastings to rent "Catch me if you can." Loved it. Easily one of the best movies either of us had seen in a long time.
Fast forward a week and we found ourselves again at our little bookstore when I happily stumbled upon the book "Catch me if you can". Frank Abagnale's true story, which takes place in the late sixties, of being one of the most successful and youngest con artists in America is amazing - and the movie only shows a small portion. America was more innocent and naive then, more so than we now could ever imagine. He was quite the criminal, don't get me wrong, but you can't help but cheer for him just a little. Perhaps it's the awe that he ever got away with what he did, or the loneliness he found along the way. Either way, it's a great story.
Background: While at Utah State I took 'Opinion Writing' from Nancy Williams and it changed my world. Nancy had us read "Writing down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (a book about writing practice) and it opened up a whole new realm of writing to me....loved, Loved, LOVED it. Spoke right to me and helped me put into words why I love to write. So when I stumbled upon "Long Quiet Highway" at my new favorite used bookstore it was a no-brain purchase. "Long Quiet Highway" is Goldberg's personal memoir about growing up lost and eventually finding writing and Zen to be her solace. I found her pathway to writing more interesting than Goldberg's personal experiences with Zen, but still loved the book. However, if writing's not your thing, this may not be an overly inspiring book for you.
Catch me if you can by Frank Abagnale Jr.
Background: It's a Saturday night and C and I were waiting for some friends to come over when we stumbled up this movie with Tom Hanks and Leonardo Dicaprio about an amazing con artist that neither of us had seen. We got completely sucked in and hurried and popped in a tape to record the rest when our guests arrived. As luck would have it the tape stopped recording before the movie ended. PANIC! Don't get me wrong, we had a great time with our friends, but as soon as they left we rushed to Hastings to rent "Catch me if you can." Loved it. Easily one of the best movies either of us had seen in a long time.
Fast forward a week and we found ourselves again at our little bookstore when I happily stumbled upon the book "Catch me if you can". Frank Abagnale's true story, which takes place in the late sixties, of being one of the most successful and youngest con artists in America is amazing - and the movie only shows a small portion. America was more innocent and naive then, more so than we now could ever imagine. He was quite the criminal, don't get me wrong, but you can't help but cheer for him just a little. Perhaps it's the awe that he ever got away with what he did, or the loneliness he found along the way. Either way, it's a great story.
5 comments:
i've always wanted to read your "bones" book... at least that is how i've always remembered the name. i will have to do that. i'm glad you found another from her that you've enjoyed.
I think I would love both of those books. I loved the movie for "Catch Me if you Can."
I just read your profile about pathologically keeping in touch with people. I do the same thing!
HA! Love the post. Cheers goes to those who can "stick it to the man" - a credo to live by. Right C?
I was watching Catch Me If You Can Saturday night too!! Great movie. Love the part when Leonardo DiCaprio tricks Tom Hanks at the airport and has his "stunt double" hold up the sign, "Handratty". Too good. Like you said, you're kind of cheering for Abagnale! I love it when I come across something good on TV on a Sat night. So rare!
What a great post! I didnt even know you had a blog! I was excited to find it on Beckys, now I can keep in touch better:)
Post a Comment