Monday, September 22, 2008

Meet Eugene Collins.....


Introducing Eugene Collins.....
Eugene and I volunteer at the same after-school program. The biggest difference? I'm a 27 year old white LDS female who grew up in Idaho and graduated from college. Eugene's an 80 year old black Baptist preacher born and raised on a Texas farm. But friendship came easily and when I was recently hired to free-lance for a local publication I knew who would be my first story.










Here are a few of my favorite Eugene quotes:





"Carry yourself in a way where you respect other people- when you respect other people you will get respect."

"I believe I'll be rewarded in heaven- it's one of those belief things- you believe what you believe. Believe that this bad world don't owe you nothin'. Give yourself, give some of your time to God instead of the devil you know. If I can just be that light, for these kids, set up on that hill that they can see it you know- then that's all I would like to be. If the kids can say 'I remember that old man and he was pretty good.' "

"Color don't mean nothin' to me - you know- cause everybody is somebody in my life- regardless- that's the thing."

"When I came up you couldn't go to restaurants through the same door that other colors did. All that's changed now - where all men are created equal and everybody's the same now. That's what I've seen and I think it's the very best thing that could have happened."

"Anybody can be somebody."

"I've seen it [Martin Luther King's dream] come true. That's just the way I think God wanted it to be for everybody to treat one another the same."

"I might be the color black, but I'm not a black preacher. I preach to everybody."

"Continue your goals, your higher goals you know - regardless of what people say or think about your- reach for your higher goals and you'll make it. "

"I have the energy to keep on goin' because I don't stop. I don't give up. That's it - never give up."

6 comments:

Kath, Becca, and Ellie said...

Absolutely fantastic. Love it. Also, congrats on the free lance opportunities.

Laura said...

You constantly amaze me. After seeing Eugene's picture, I really wanted to meet him. After reading your entry, I felt like I had.

The Road Less Traveled. said...

Very inspiring. I needed to be reminded of the good in the world on a very individual level. Thanks Hil.

Brian said...

Make sure to post a link to your story. I'd love to read it.

Becky said...

Wow! Those are so great quotes to truly live by! My favorite patients are always men in their seventies or eightie. They are gems!

5k1er said...

Great pics Hil! I feel like I was there.