With my love for movies, music, t.v. and magazines it may be hard to believe that I do indeed also read books. True story. To prove it (and by prove it I mean just for fun) I thought I'd start doing quick little reviews on what I've read recently. Then should anyone be interested in picking up a book recently read by me...well then it will be easy to do so. I welcome your comments, words of agreement, disagreements, and other such banter.
Breaking Dawn By Stephenie Myer: I feel no real need to talk much about this book because everyone I know who wanted to read it has done so and we've talked in length about it. Bottom line, I see things through. From book one I was invested in the characters so there was no turning back. I enjoyed knowing more about the characters and their story...but this, the fourth book in the Twilight series, for me wasn't as good as the previous three. Fun enough...a little on the long side.
BOOM! By Tom Brokaw: I L-O-V-E-D this book (kudos to C for the stellar Christmas gift). If you like biographies, history, and more specifically the amazing dynamic and progress that was the 1960's you'll enjoy this book. Brokaw interviewed figures from the 60's from Vietnam vets to musicians, politicians to hippies, feminists to civil rights protesters and so on. Reading the different perspectives on the 60's via different people and thus different stories and opinions was, for me, the perfect way to learn more about this influential time period. Amazing stories and points of view...the good and bad that came from a generation so different than their parents is also addressed. I loved it. The 60's have always fascinated me. I've always said that had I been alive during that important decade I would have gotten in all sorts of trouble marching for Civil Rights. I also think I would have made a decent hippie with my guitar...though I could have never pulled off the long hair.
Music of the moment:
Ride by Cary Brothers
Pretty much everything by Schuyler Fisk (Faves: From where I'm standing, Paperweight, Songs that say goodbye, I'm giving up) Also listen to her here.
3 comments:
I really did not like Breaking Dawn, the first half was basically needless, and I guess I'm just not a Romantic reader, Edward usually annoys me!!I usually get a new book at the library every two weeks, sometimes more often, so I always like knowing what people are reading, thanks!
I'm so right there with you on Breaking Dawn. Maybe next year I'll reread it and like it more.
I love book reviews as I'm always looking for good books. I think I may have to get BOOM for my brother in law.
Excellent music suggestions! Loving it...
Post a Comment