San Marcos has a few famous sons and daughters and famous Jazz guitarist/composer Eddie Durham is one of them. Every year Texas State hosts the Eddie Durham Jazz Festival and on Friday night C and I attended the opening concert and LOVED IT. The Texas State Jazz band favored us with a few fun tunes which made me nostalgic for...
Jazz Band was hands-down one of my favorite activities in high school....I mean who doesn't want to wear a brightly colored tux? (Okay...maybe that's the one part I DON'T miss....but every time I hear a standard like "In the mood," "A Train," "String of Pearls," etc. my hands are dying for a saxophone.)The special guest at this years festival was renowned jazz trumpeter Joe Wilder and let me tell you at age 88 good 'ole gentleman Joe still has it! So impressive. Let's hope we can all still be rockin' when we're his age.
5 comments:
You're making me nostalgic too. Ah, the good ol' days. Miss you Hil!
So fun! Sounds like a great concert. And it pretty much made my day to see you playing the sax in a bowtie and cumberbund. Hot stuff!
ah jazz band. . . the memories. . .the smell of skunk. I'd totally do jazz band again!
Love it! I remember being so proud of you when you made jazz band! You rock!
You played saxaphone? So many things I still don't know about you. Time to come visit and fill me in.
Post a Comment