Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A concert....at some dude's house?

I am so far behind! This fantastic adventure was weeks ago...alas...ALAK! Here we go....

So I do my best to keep my eye on the live music scene in Austin and when I saw the term "house concert" I was immediately intrigued. When I saw that former USU fave Sarah Sample was performing at said "house concert" I knew we had to go.

The premise of a house concert is exactly what it sounds like....someone hosts a concert at THEIR OWN HOUSE. They underwrite the cost of the concert and ask people to reserve a spot simply through an email. You are encouraged to bring food to share, show up on time, be respectful and quiet during the tunes (my type of show) and contribute to the artist. I was sold.

Off we went....

.........to the outskirts of Austin


......and walked up to some dude's house.


I convinced Michelle and Chris and C to come with me...


As promised the host wore a floral shirt and we took our seats among the middle-aged hippies (pretty much the crowd we seem to run with....love it.)


The crowd was friendly and the house was.....eclectic.....



We opted out of the box wine and brought our own Dr. Pepper and enjoyed a decent pot luck with strangers. I loved the intimate and relaxed setting, but could have lived without the host's friendly dogs.


When we weren't distracted by Geronimo we couldn't help but notice that Sarah Sample still rocks! Seriously....a really great singer/songwriter/storyteller. My favorite songs of the night? "A good life", "Never Close Enough," "Count the Colors" and some song about how everyone leaves Texas in the summer because it's too hot. Well said.


I'm not going to lie...I was a total fan of the whole experience.

3 comments:

Russ said...

Oh la la!

Marie said...

I totally forgot about this. Very fun!

B said...

Love that you brought your own Dr. P's. Can I come next time?