Over the weekend I gathered with 11 of my closest friends from high school to definitively answer the age-old question so poetically posed by Boyz II Men in the nineties: How do we say goodbye to yesterday? Our answer was a unified and resounding "We don't!" Take that passage of time! We refuse!
One of the beauties of growing up in a small town is that you can have the same friends forever. We didn't have multiple junior high schools that fed into different high schools. We had one elementary school, one INTERMEDIATE school, one junior high and one high school. We've known each other forever.
We've of course kept in touch over the years post high school....dinners here and there when people are in town...emails and phone calls...but until now a get-together of this magnitude had only been a dream. And let me tell you, the reality did NOT disappoint.
We caught up. We reminisced. We stayed up until 4 a.m. and only went to sleep because we knew our 29 year-old selves knew it was the right thing to do. We remembered similarities, realized differences and gave and received the magical acceptance and "knowing" that only comes from those who are a part of your past. We laughed so hard we cried...and sometimes we just plain cried. We seemed to pick up right where we had left off and quickly remembered why we have always been and will always be friends. It...was...Wonderful. Epic. Amazing. So good. So blessed. So grateful.
Much love to you all and a huge thanks to everyone for making the sleepover of the decade a total success!
PS As an added bonus I got to see these beautiful kiddos and see my cute mom who came to Boise to help out with the wee ones and make it possible for us all to bunk at Marie's house. A big thanks to you Mamacita and Marie!
13 comments:
Hil, I loved your account of the weekend. I love your writing! Where can I see more of your work?
And also, the whole weekend was amazing. I love you girls so stinkin much! I know we've all changed and grown so much over the years, but it felt like no time had passed at all. Can't wait to do it again. Love you!
Words cannot describe how happy this weekend made me :)
And I second those big thanks to Val and Marie!!
I'm so jealous! Sounds like a blast. Everyone looks fantastic!!! That is just awesome... btw I knew you would get a kick out of that song-lol.
Look how cute you guys all are! What a blast!! I'm beyond jealous. You all were lucky and did something right to stay in touch so well. Way to go! I think I'll go email Janeen right now. I'm craving some epic...
by far my favorite weekend of the year! love and miss you already!
I'm ready for round 2. Do we really have to wait a whole year?
It was fun to see the pics of all you "sugar" girls.
So the best weekend EVER! I love the pics Hil!
So great. I love friendships that stand the test of time.
Your weekend sounds - perfect! Your ability to keep in touch with and care for people is amazing. But it's no surprise finding those qualities in you.
Hil, I love the pics! You're amazing and I had such a great time with you. Can't wait for some one on one time this fall!
Boyz 2 Men, HILARIOUS!! Thank you Hil for letting us hear your voice in writing form. You have a gift.
Great pics. Love the yellow necklace. Sounds like a glorious time.
I can't wait to do this every year! Event better, I won't be pregnant for another one of these, wahoo!!
Post a Comment