Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring in DC....



Oh my goodness. I love when C has conferences in fantastic places. This year the big annual geography conference took us to Washington D.C. and we had SUCH a good time that I've been overwhelmed at just the thought of blogging about it and doing it any justice! (Admittedly I enjoy the quick blog: a great pic and a clever quip.) Alas....I shall attempt it.....
First, a shout-out to our hosts Chris and Bonnie. Thank you for the extreme hospitality and more good food, conversation and hilarious laughter than we could have imagined. Estamos com suadades ja! Amamos voces!

Day one:
Mount Vernon - I remember absolutely LOVING Mount Vernon when I went years ago....the good news? It's still just as beautiful.
Arlington Cemetery - So neat. Very powerful. Much more to see than most people expect.
Great Falls State Park- Are you kidding me? Such natural beauty within a stones throw of an awesome city? Virginia is gorgeous. Period.



Day two:
Good Indian food: I won't lie...one of my favorite things about traveling is just seeing a new place and finding a cute place to eat.
Monuments: A must-see. Beautiful and full of history.

Day three: (An they walked and walked and walked and walked....and walked....)
The Whitehouse
Ford's Theater
THE Capitol
The National Archives
The Library of Congress -(Neither of us had been before....a remarkable and beautiful building.)
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
Smithsonian of Natural History




Day four:
The Holocaust Museum - This was my first visit to the Holocaust museum and I have to say it is hands-down one of the best museums I've ever visited. So powerful while remaining respectful. Amazing.
Lunch with Joe and Emmy - So fun to get together!
Sights with Joe, Brit and the kiddos:
Iwo Jima Memorial
Pentagon Memorial
Georgetown
Thanks so much for taking me around Joe and Brit! It was so great to see you all and see more of the city.


Day 6 (Calm your "you skipped day 5!" commenting urge my pretties....day 5= Sunday and much needed rest and a fabulous dinner with Katie, Kara and fams. Thanks for the great visit guys! And Kara...thanks for the late night of talking and games. So fun!)
Manassas - We had a great time soaking in the beauty of Virginia and the history of the Civil War. Very cool.



So yes....our trip was a success. What can I say? It's good to be married to a geographer.

6 comments:

Marie said...

Could I be any more jealous?

MA said...

Wow! Cool trip!

MA said...

Wow! Cool trip!

B said...

It was GREAT having you! You guys crack me up. I wish AAG was in DC every year.

Em and Tom said...

I am placing you in the same "jealousy" catagory that I put Tom. He gets to go there all the time, but he never has any pics for me. I love them!

Molly said...

My, oh my! Thank you Hil for sharing your adventures in D.C.! You looked fab in all the pics (darling scarf and beads, love it!). What an awesome trip. So happy for you and The C-Dawg!!