For your reading enjoyment (and by that I mean for my own organization) I've broken down our adventures into chapters. I'll try to keep the text brief....no one likes a blog with too much text C reminds me.
So here we go.....
This Thanksgiving we loaded up and headed to Arkansas to visit our good friends Mel and Justin and to see what Arkansas had to offer. Both (as expected) exceed our expectations!
A detour of the family history persuasion
Determined not to drive the same way to and from Arkansas we knew one leg of the trip would take us through Oklahoma. Oklahoma? The wheels in my mind started turning...I have an ancestor buried in Oklahoma And not just any ancestor...but one of the ONLY ancestors from the Owen line who isn't buried in Texas (who we subsequently did NOT find on our family history tour last May.)
C is so good to indulge me as we wander on country roads looking for old cemeteries (and in this case a totally different cemetery, and part of the state for that matter, than where other genealogy folk online said he was buried.) And we found him! My third great grandpa, Henry Edward Owen. Loved it.
We then stopped in Oklahoma City for lunch and to see the Oklahoma City bombing memorial - which we both thought was really well done. We later took a break in Tulsa for a little stroll and I have to say it was a super cute town....much cooler than anticipated!
The boys, a pulley and a fried turkey
Thanksgiving Day was good to us. We had a great time hanging out and helping out with the food prep. Mel and I chuckled at how our friendship has evolved from two 19 year old college freshman hanging out and eating campus cafeteria food to two women making Thanksgiving dinner! Good times. And C and Justin had a blast SAFELY frying our turkey to perfection. Impressive.
Arkansas and her many wonders
You may not know this, but Arkansas has a lot going for it! Seriously. First of all, I found it to be really pretty. And second, Bentonville, Rogers and Fayetteville are full of charm. We had a great time walking around, seeing the birthplace of Wal-Mart, visiting the Daisy Air gun museum (after preparing the night before by watching The Christmas Story), checking out fun shops and eating great food.
The night Hil got bullied into riding a camel
Somehow our innocent night of walking around the lights in Fayetteville turned into Mel making it her personal mission to get me on a camel. (I know, I know....you're jealous that your Christmas festivals don't have camels.) Mel and I fought and fought about it - me reminding her (and everyone within hearing range) that I am NOT an animal person - and Mel laughing so hard she was crying. In the end I did what any good friend would do and gave into peer pressure....errr....I mean....gave her a priceless memory! :)
The Ozarks
The sun may have been setting, but we were determined to go on one of Mel and Justin's favorite hikes in the Ozarks....and it did not disappoint. Crisp wintry air....the smell of fallen leaves...great views. Loved it. And we topped it off with awesome burgers for dinner in a fantastically small town. Awesome. We can't thank Mel and Justin enough for the amazing trip. So great to see them.
If this statement didn't make you rub your eyes in disbelief I'm not sure you know me well enough to be reading this blog. Just sayin'.....
But first, after leaving Bentonville we started our trek toward Crater of Diamonds State Park. We passed through the town of Alma. The name intrigued me so I quickly googled it on my phone and what results are shown? Parley P. Pratt's gravesite! You better believe we pulled right over, did a few more minutes of research and before we knew it we were seeing some church history.
That night we set up camp in the state park. C was so nervous I would have a miserable time. Haha. So maybe I hadn't slept in a tent (if you don't count Relay for Life....which C says we DEFINITELY don't) in like two decades.....and maybe I am decently vocal about how I like to camp....in CABINS. But truth be told, we had a blast. C whipped us up a delicious dinner and even though the rain poured through the night and morning we remained dry and cozy as could be.
The Whitesides' hunt for diamonds
True or False: Arkansas has a state park where you can hunt for diamonds? TRUE!
Blow your mind right? It's true....a full-on diamond field (with all sorts of other rocks and gems). Sure it was a few hours out of our way, but we just couldn't pass up this opportunity. When others ask why we ask WHY NOT?!
While we may have come up empty-handed, and even though we had to do some fancy work to keep my boot-less feet protected from the intense mud, we had a great time. After all, how many people can say they spent a few hours over Thanksgiving break looking for diamonds?
The Bullet and the comeback tour
Not long after leaving the diamond mine the trusty Bullet started having a party on the dashboard. Lights started flashing and gauges started going up and down. Then other parts of the car started getting in on the fun. We quickly realized our windshield wipers were struggling to work and that our headlights were no longer giving the light they were intended to. As we passed a town with the population of about 87, we knew we were in trouble.
So we said a little prayer that, if nothing else, we'd make it to the next town - a town that was 20 miles away - and we kept driving. As we pulled into Hope (ironic right?) we saw a Pontiac dealership on the right hand side of the road and C quickly pulled over. As we pulled into the dealership we lost power steering and the car completely died. We glided half-way into a parking stall and couldn't contain our shock, amazement and gratitude!
I'm not sure what surprised the car guys (who tried really hard to sell us a new car) most - the fact that we were laughing and smiling when we pulled in or the fact that I made C pose for a picture (MEMORIES!) before we could do anything else. A new alternator and a few hours later and we were on our way.
The Bullet is now officially on it's comeback tour....and not a Cher-type comeback tour if you catch my drift....
Thank you Thanksgiving 2010.....you were good to us.
11 comments:
I loved reading this. You on a camel is quite impressive. I don't think I know anyone who has ridden on a camel.
Fun Fun! Oh and I love that C is wearing his relay shirt in the last picture. :)
So many things to love about this post. The camel picture is definitely my favorite. Classic. I do believe Mel's leg is a blur because she is kicking the camel to make it go faster.
Strangely enough, I did know that Arkansas had the diamond park. Thank you TLC and all 21 of the Duggar family.
It would make all my holiday dreams come true if you and C arrived on a camel at Cafe Rio on Monday. Seriously.
So many comments that I just can't say! But this post is a fav.!
wow what fun Hil. Im glad to know if I end up in Arkansas that it won't be a drag!:) I also am impressed you rode a camel AND slept in a tent!you rock!
1. YOU slept in a TENT? I'm so proud of you, Hil.
2. I love that the title of this post is from one of my favorite lesser-known Broadway musicals.
3. This just reminds me of the many reasons that I love and miss you and C.
I never thought I'd actually WANT to visit Arkansas (no offense to anyone who lives there), but this post makes me want to. Your job here is done. :)
~Rebecca (a new blog stalker)
The bags on your feet. Under your shoes. It is all too great.
You are a good sport! Oh, the things we do with our husbands.
LOL! This post was so worth the read!!!!!! Tell C that someone can put as much text into a blog post if that someone is YOU!
Hil, seriously. You are one cool person.
GREAT post.
You two crack me up. I love that you research where family is buried and visit their sites on your road trips. I've lost count of all the places you've been this year! This year was epic for y'all!
Hahaha... still laughing over "Hilz slept in a tent."
Post a Comment