C's annual geography conference was held in Las Vegas this year and we had a great time. We amusingly stayed at Circus Circus for an amazing price and certainly can't complain. C presented his research at the conference (and even won a research award!) and attended a lot of meetings he enjoyed. We also had plenty of time to enjoy the sights/sounds/food/entertainment of Vegas with our good friends from C's program. A definite highlight for us was Cirque de Soleil's show KA. Seriously impressive (the mouth-watering shrimp at "The Pearl" before the show was a huge highlight as well). I loved relaxing and my mini high school reunion with Allison. Good times in Vegas.
After the conference we rented a car and headed to Death Valley. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I can say that it exceeded all my expectations. Death Valley is so diverse and beautiful. I was impressed at how much we could see in just one day, but as the sun set we both wished we could have had more time.
As we drove back to Vegas I was impressed by the stark differences we had experienced in the last few days. My firs thought was about God's creations versus the creations of man. However, I decided from my point of view that wasn't quite accurate. Man is God's greatest creation and our talents and skills come directly from Him. Truth be told whether it be a majestic mountain or beautifully designed sky scraper both are to be admired and enjoyed. I enjoyed the glitz/glam/entertainment/fancy food of Vegas and I loved the beauty/solitude/vastness of Death Valley. I'm grateful for both sides of the coin.
6 comments:
Looks like a great time! Those are sure some beautiful pictures!
Cool pictures! It was good to see you guys this weekend!
Death Valley looks very inviting. I wonder how much an acre goes for down there.
Hey looks like fun! So jeolous you got to hang out with Alli!! :) Love all your fab photos!
Great post, Hil. I especially liked your reflections on God's creations versus the creations of man. I smiled when I read that you are grateful for both sides of the coin. Too true. I really liked this post. Did I say that already? Can I say it again? :)
Those are some GREAT pics. I miss you two. I like your point of view of both sides of the coin, too. Never thought of it that way.
Congrats on the award, C!!
Post a Comment