Recent Reads:
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck: : Let's be honest, this book has a few good things going for it. First, it's a classic which always makes you feel good. Second, it's a quick read which is a definite must every now and then. And third, it's a powerful story. Despite the difference in time and life depicted in the book (it was published in 1937 afterall) the over-arching themes of love, friendship and sacrifice and heartbreak are things we can all relate to. And the ending will make your throat tight every time.
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert: I may be the only person in the country who has read this book to say this (Sorry Oprah and The New York Times!), but I'm going to say it anyway....I didn't love it. And I'm really surprised I didn't love it! Being a hugely popular memoir, and memoir being one of my all-time favorite types of writing, I really expected to just be captivated. But I wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. It was well-written and every once in a while it really spoke to me. But I got really bored a handful of times....which may have more to do with the fact that I don't find certain things overly interesting (meditation etc) rather than Gilbert's actual writing or personal journey.
Currently reading (and enjoying thus far) Angela's Ashes.
More soon no doubt.....
4 comments:
I love it when people post about what books they're reading, since I'm always looking for a good read. I just finished Angela's Ashes not too long ago and loved it. Highly recommended. Jenn and I have a book list linked on our blog that you're welcome to check out if you're ever interested in what we're reading.
You are the 3rd person in the last 3 weeks that has told me that Eat Pray Love was just not that great. I guess I won't be reading that one . . . then again, I don't like memoirs anyway, so ya know. :)
I agree with you Hil. It took me forever to get through Eat, Pray, Love because I kept getting bored with it! There were parts I liked, but it wasn't able to hold me throughout.
Can I recommend a book?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
I think you would like it :)
I felt the same way about Gilbert's book and was bummed because so many people said they loved it. Looking forward to your critique of Angela's Ashes.
Post a Comment