Monday, June 15, 2009

A Call For Social Programs.....

This isn't meant to be a politically charged post because truthfully it's not. But, just as a disclaimer...some might take it as such. (Not that I'm overly worried, I figure the lack of pictures and amount of text will deter most people from this blog entry in general.) This is simply an issue close to my heart (ACS, VIDA, Urban Youth, YSB) and a blog that's been running around in my head for months now. I figured if nothing else I owe it to myself to write it down.

I heard a quote years ago that has always stuck with me: "We are each of us angels, with only one wing, and can only fly when embracing each other." Another favorite says "We are not here to see through people, but to see people through." In short, we are here to help each other. And if we're going to look at this in a societal sense, the stronger the individuals the stronger the society.

To me it's such a simple concept. The better off people are around you, the better off you are. Example: I work at an after-school program that, for the most part, serves "under-privileged" and "at-risk" teens. So what if your kids don't fall into those categories? Should you even care? Should you donate and help? You bet. We all should (to YSB or any other good program.) Maybe the kids we help will stay away from crime - crime that would have impacted your community. Maybe they'll contribute positively instead of negatively to their (which is also your) environment. The better off they are, the better of we all are.

Behind YSB is a homeless shelter, but you wouldn't likely find the people you'd expect. In fact, if you passed most of them on the street you wouldn't even know they were currently living in the shelter. A friend of mine had to leave a job program and had nowhere to go. Now, with the help of the shelter and the community center, he's working part-time and finishing his GED. Not only will his life benefit, but so will society because soon enough he'll be back on his feet and contributing - all thanks to the help of his community.

And what about health care? Same thing. Helping the poor get the care they need not only benefits them, but all of us. We get sick from EACH OTHER. The healthier my neighbors are, the healthier I am. Aside from what I believe morally about health care ("a right, not a privilege," thank you Robert Kennedy) we're only hurting ourselves by making it hard for others to get the care they need.

Don't get me wrong, I don't by any stretch of the imagination know how to fix the health care system or fix the world's problems. And yes, some people take advantage of social or welfare programs, but who are we to judge? I believe most people are good and want to do better - that most of us at one time or another need a helping hand to reach our potential. I absolutely believe in teaching a man to fish, and I also believe that sometimes you just need to give him a fish first so he doesn't starve while learning. I believe there is an attainable balance.

We talk a lot about equality, and we are truly blessed to live in a free and equal society. But, when thinking about helping others, we need to remember that there are two types of equality.
Equality of opportunity and equality of circumstance. Equality of opportunity dictates that we can all apply to college, apply to a job, buy a house etc. No one can tell us that we can't because of our race, gender, etc. Wonderful. Love it. But it's not exactly black and white because equality of circumstance doesn't (and perhaps can't) exist. Circumstances simply aren't the same. Person A grew up in a stable middle-class family with loving parents and a savings account for college. Person B grew up in a single-parent household in the projects, attended poor schools and started working at age 12 to help pay rent. While person A and B CAN (are allowed) both apply to the same college their chance at opportunity are not the same.

It's beautifully idealistic to say that everyone has the same "chance" or "opportunity" to make a great living and make a life for themselves. And I'm not saying it never happens...we know it does...the 1 out of 1,000 always turns into a heart-warming movie. The truth is that breaking a generational cycle is not easy and for many (most even) people their circumstance is not their fault, but their inheritance.

Social programs, PUBLIC EDUCATION, scholarships, government aid, kindness, respect, compassion and generosity are certainly a good beginning and taking care of others may be the very best way to take care of ourselves.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Wonderfully written. I am so glad that you shared this, because I think it is very important that it is said.

Janey said...

Worded so perfectly, agree 100% hilary. Can we publish this everywhere?? :)

Diane Bohn said...

I totally agree with this! You should meet my dad...he's really big into helping and influencing the minority youth in the community. I think he would love to hear how your program works and what you do, as he is trying to start up and organize a bunch of programs in Cache Valley for youth to serve and help educate youth. It's pretty cool. Anyway, thanks for the great post! Now hopefully we will all get out there more and act on it! :)

Russ said...

I too declare accolades of wonderment in reading this. Exceeded my expectations. So often I feel overwhelmed that I can't help people more. In fact, I feel a large part of my time and energy ends up being wrapped up in church callings. I just wish I could do more, perhaps in time, and with a little more education, I can make my dent on this growing issue.

Marie said...

Well said, sis. I couldn't agree more. And you rock! PS. It's one in the morning. Why won't my baby sleep anymore....?

Bonnie said...

Wow Hil - you are an incredible writer. Are you sure you weren't an editorial writer in college? :) Seriously, though. That was very moving. I completely agree - I felt the same when I worked in West Valley with those kids... so much need out there!

B said...

Hilz - this is good. Can I quote you on my blog?

Molly said...

I appreciate the time you spent to put your thoughts on "paper". I like what you said and I agree with it.
Thanks for being so brainy and smart, so compassionate and cool, so brave and daring. I am better after reading this post.

Mike said...

Hil - Wish I had known about this post a long time ago, I would have been reading it and quoting it to my friends at Mayo all year long. What a beautifully worded expression of the moral duty we have to each other - a duty that is so often neglected, forgotten or belittled.