
LBJ is a pretty big deal here in central Texas - a Texas State graduate, street names, statues, museums, a presidential library....his legacy is everywhere. And I have to say I'm quite impressed.
Admittedly, I don't know as much about History as I would like, so it's been really fun to learn more about LBJ's presidency (something other than the tarnish left by Vietnam.) Last weekend we hit the LBJ museum here in San Marcos and I was amazed at how many important programs were started during Johnson's presidency. What an advocate for anti-poverty and anti-discrimination legislation. The civil rights act, voting rights, food stamps, student loans, head start, medicaid - just to name a few.
I was impressed to learn that Johnson taught at a Mexican-American school early in his career and was so moved by his experiences there that he was determined to help every citizen have the opportunity to get a good education. The more I read about Johnson the more I got the feeling that he believed that the greatness of a country depended on the greatness of it's people. Lifting individuals and improving circumstance benefits the country as whole - a sentiment with which I completely agree - and truth be told, a sediment I feel is shared by the current administration. I appreciate the calls in the past and the current call for citizens to volunteer in their communities and serve each other.
Every president in history has had his share of triumphs and mistakes....as they will all continue to experience. Every single one has undoubtedly done good things and made unfortunate errors. And while LBJ is no exception I must say that some of his good choices were REALLY good and we're still reaping the benefits in our society today. Impressed.
3 comments:
I haven't been to the one in town yet, but the one at UT is pretty cool. It has LBJ and Ladybird's report cards and she was a better student.
And if you want more LBJ you can check out his ranch out by Johnson City. He has a boat car. A car that you drive into water and it turns into a boat. He used to scare people that way.
Anyway! I may make it to lunch today. We'll see how everything shakes out.
I have read all of your stuff Hil and am impresses and realize how much I miss your writing. I should have had you write my talk for Sunday your top blog would have fit in well - Love You Love Mom
C - love love loving your shirt. Way to show that TEXAS pride!
Post a Comment