Friday, October 17, 2008

Saudades.....

The leaves are falling

in their autumn way

But some hang on

for a colder day

Maybe they’re just

afraid to go away

Like we all are


The color's pretty

but it’s fading fast

It makes you wonder

just what will last

If holding on is better left

to the past

Or today


The sun is shining

seems it doesn’t know

Or maybe it’s the last thing

there is to show

Of what it means

to have you go

And stay


The streets are busy

like they always are

I think of you

and just how far

And how no one notices me

in my car

Alone


Now we sit and

watch the falling snow

There’s still so much

that I don’t know

about that day and why

you had to go

That way


We all spoke softly

you took your time

Sharing the truth of what’s

yours and mine

We placed our hopes

on that hidden line

Always


So in the springtime

when I miss your face

The summer sun

it can’t erase

What I remember

of a fall embrace

This falls embrace

9 comments:

Molly said...

What a tender post. Tears are flowing down my cheeks. Hil, I'm sorry he's gone. You are an amazing woman. I love and support you as you think of your Dad on this special day. LOVE---

camie said...

beautiful hil. i love and miss your dad.
so wonderful seeing you today.
you are my favorite.

Joe said...

Hilary, I hope you can have some comfort. I love that you get to use the word saudades to describe your feelings. Sometimes, Portuguese is the best way to say how you feel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Russ said...

What a beautiful poem. : )

McKell&Janeene said...

Hil, You are amazing! I love you! The cryfests will never end, but it just shows how much we love the ones we've lost.

Heidi Furness said...

Hey Hil, I've been thinking about your dad lately too. I'm so glad you made this post. You are a beautiful writer and I know your dad is so proud of who you are.

The Road Less Traveled. said...

Hil my thoughts are with you during this time of year. I loved the pictures of Bron! He was quite a looker :) I love you always.

Kath, Becca, and Ellie said...

i looked up saudades. beautiful.

Cassie said...

I miss your dad. Sometimes I still cry for no reason. But you know what that feels like. Remember when your mom and dad watched us count our Canada money and thought we were crazy? That was awesome. Or the chats with your dad when you made me walk you to class (because somehow because it was snowing meant you couldn't do it alone...but you'd do it for me). Or how Fred and I are a couple in his book?! There are lots of memories. And they're all good. I love your dad....that's all.