Thursday, June 11, 2009

Weep with me....

C once asked me why I liked sad music so much. First, I explained to him that not ALL of my favorite tunes were sad...or melancholy....etc. Many are thoughtful, laid back...TRUTHFUL! HA! I remember talking to my friend Kathy afterward and trying to put into words what it is about certain "sad" or thought-provoking music that speaks so much to us, seeing as we're decently happy people. We came up with a few explanations - something poetic about the courage to express emotions such as sadness, longing, fear, confusion....and something else about it being so easy to express happiness and that there's something impressive about finding a good way to express sadness that all of us can relate to. Regardless....the truth is that I just love it and lately I can't get enough of: The Weepies.

What a name right? You don't even have to listen to their music, just glance at their name and you already want to crawl up into the fetal position on a soft patch of carpet. I can imagine the two of them in college playing all their sad songs for the friends and someone complaining that all of the songs were TOO WEEPY! And thus The Weepies were born.

Check out: World Spins Madly On and Can't Go Back Now (Two of my faves)

5 comments:

Diane Bohn said...

I LOVE the Weepies! two of my faves are Painting by Chagall and Slow Pony Ride. And who else I think is sad, but I like to listen to is Patty Griffin. two good songs by her: Rain and Long Ride Home

Russ said...

I was just telling Russ last night how much I enjoy sad music. He said, "I know". What timing!

The song that sparked the topic: Fix You, Coldplay

V said...

Never heard of them, I suppose my "made up on the spot songs" wouldnt' fit in with their genre???!! Lub ya!

The Road Less Traveled. said...

I like sad songs too. Where else would we hear "deep within I'm shaken by the violence of existing for only you."

I'll have to check out the Weepies.

B said...

I completely agree. Haven't heard of The Weepies but I just listened to both songs on iTunes. Good call, Hil. I love to listen to Hurt by Johnny Cash.